More than 1.4 million are already benefiting from lower health care costs because of this plan! It has also been estimated that 1.1 million uninsured could get financial help through Covered CA. Because of this expanded plan, more than half of enrollees pay $10 or less per month for coverage from name brand providers. In addition, newly eligible Californians that are earning more than 400% of the federal poverty level have reduced their monthly premium by $800 per month on average. Moving forward, in 2022, 94% of Californians will have at least two choices for their Covered CA insurance and be in control of their health insurance! Read below for more information on open enrollment to see if it is right for you.
What is Covered CA?
- Brand Name Insurance: Plans from well known companies, including Anthem, Blue, and Kaiser Permanente.
- Help with Costs: Get financial help to pay for your health insurance. Free or low-cost coverage if you qualify.
- COVID-19: All plans cover treatment and vaccines for COVID-19
Will I get financial help?
The American Rescue Plan is making health insurance more affordable and Covered CA is the only place for these savings. Many people with higher incomes now qualify for this financial help and those with lower incomes will get more savings than before. These savings will only last through 2022, so sign up as soon as possible!
What are my health plan options?
Covered CA insurance has a four tier plan. They have different services and premiums, but all plans have great benefits. The plans are the following:
- Bronze Plan: This plan has 60% coverage, the lowest monthly premium, and the highest out-of-pocket cost when you receive care. It also covers free preventative care, free children’s dental and vision, coverage for pre-existing conditions, and the first three non-preventative doctor visits will not be subject to a deductible. This plan may be best for individuals who do not go to the doctor often, but want insurance for emergencies.
- Silver Plan: This plan offers 70 to 94% coverage, lower premiums, and moderate out-of-pocket costs. It also includes coverage for pre-existing conditions, free preventative care, and free children’s dental and vision. This may be your best option if you go to the doctor or need medicine subscriptions regularly.
- Gold Plan: This plan includes 80% coverage, higher premiums, and lower out-of-pocket costs. It also offers coverage for pre-existing conditions, free preventative care, free children’s dental and vision, and $0 deductibles. You can count on no surprises and no deductibles.
- Platinum Plan: This plan has 90% coverage, the highest premiums, and the lowest out-of-pocket costs when you receive care. It also includes coverage for pre-existing conditions, free preventative care, free children’s dental and vision, and no limits on what your plan pays for covered services. This may be best for you if you want no deductibles and the lowest prices on services.
When can I enroll?
Enrollment is open now! We are in the Special Enrollment Period, and Covered California has opened up enrollment for everyone through to the end of the year. Renewals for existing coverage begin in the fall of 2021. Open Enrollment for 2022 will be from November 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022. Normally at this time of the year, to apply you would need a qualifying life event (such as losing a job, having a baby, moving to California, etc.). However, due to President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, Covid-19 and other changes at the California State Exchange, enrollment has been opened up for all until the end of the year and through Open Enrollment 2022, which goes until January 31, 2022.
Refer to the sources below for more information or to get started on your coverage: