Types of Services

The Immigration Practice Group provides:

  • Affirmative Assistance (you file first)

  • Defensive Assistance (responding to an immigration filing) to undocumented victims of certain crimes and also those who hold current lawful status.

Immigration issues we assist with:

  • Adjustment of Status (Green Card applications)
  • Naturalization (Citizenship)
  • Deportation Defense*
  • U Visa, VAWA, and T Visa

*Depending on the specifics of your case.

You may qualify for a U Visa if:

  • you are the victim of a certain crime in the U.S. (for example, domestic violence)
  • you suffered from physical or mental effects of a crime
  • you helped the police in investigating a crime


You may qualify for VAWA if:

  • you are married to a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident
  • you are the victim of domestic violence
  • you lived with your spouse
  • you married your spouse for genuine reasons


You may qualify for a T Visa if:

  • you were brought to the U.S. and forced to have sex for money OR forced to work for little or no money
  • you helped the police in investigating what happened to you
  • you would suffer hardship if you were deported


Please note that there are other specific requirements that you must meet to fully qualify for the U Visa, VAWA, or T Visa, but if you think that any of the above describes you, feel free to call ICLS for an intake so we can evaluate your situation.

Who We Serve

Client Population:

Focus on Domestic Violence victims; ICLS serves vulnerable populations throughout San Bernardino and Riverside Counties who lack access to legal services due in part to barriers posed by language and socioeconomic resources.

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence is an abusive pattern of behavior between people who share an intimate or family relationship.  This can include physical violence, child abuse, sexual assault or abusive sexual contact, emotional abuse and psychological harm.  Abuse can also include withholding or restricting financial support or immigration-related threats.

Does your partner:

Threaten to beat you or your children or terrorize you or your children?

Hit, punch, slap, kick, push or hurt you or your children in any way?

Emotionally abuse you, such as insult you or your child at home or in public?

Force you to have sex when you do not want to?

Threaten to take your children away or hurt them?

Threaten to deport you?

Control where you go, what you can do, and whom you can see?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you may be a victim of domestic violence.

How long is the process?

Each process is different. How long your case takes depends on the specifics of your case, the research and background information that we have to gather and of course the government processing times at the time of filing.  USCIS has varying processing times for certain applications and so do the courts.  We will communicate with you the estimated time your case should take at intake and at any point where there are delays or changes in processing times.

What documents are required?

The documents required are based on the specific facts of your case and what immigration requires to increase your chances of a positive outcome.  Sometimes there are specific things that immigration requires you submit like a copy of your birth certificate or passport, records from any arrests or convictions you might have. Other times what you submit will be based on your specific case and what it is you want to tell, show or prove to immigration. Usually, things like police reports, restraining orders, your birth certificate, birth certificates of any children you have, any achievements you’re proud of, etc, are good things to include when you file an application.

Table of Contents